PAPER B
MINUTES OF THE NETWORK RYDE MANAGEMENT COMITTEE
MEETING HELD ON 3rd MARCH 2021 VIA ZOOM MEETING
COMMENCING AT 7PM.
Present:
Henry Adams, Malcolm Ross, Sue Lyons
In Attendance:
Elizabeth Gough (Administrator and notes), Becky
Swan (Youth Services Manager)
Also Present:
Steve Hull, Claire Steen (Barnardo’s), Lili-Mae Lane
and Sarah Wetherington (Young People
representatvies)
___________________________________________________________
01/21
WELCOME & APOLOGIES
Apologies were received in advance from Cllr Michael Lilley, and Cllr
Adrian Axford. We were also advised in advance that Claire Steen
(Barnardo’s) will arrive late to the meeting.
02/21
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
No interests were declared.
It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the Network Ryde Steering Group
meeting held on 9 December 2020 be approved as a true and accurate
record of the meeting and signed by the Chair.
03/21
YOUTH WORK MANAGER REPORT
The Youth Services Manager circulated her report prior to the meeting
which included the following key points:
a) Network Ryde has not been able to reopen fully due to the restrictions
of the lockdown. A blended offer of 1-2-1 sessions, both at 147 and
the allotment and the virtual youth club has been running instead.
b) The youth workers have continued to support Aspire with the
prescription and food parcel deliveries.
c) Jo has done an artist’s impression drawing of the allotment, and a
greenhouse has been constructed. There has been some further
funding received that will cover some of the staff costs, as well as
additional equipment. A grand opening of the allotment is being
B - 1
planned and will take into account any government restrictions that
may be in place at the time.
d)
We are currently waiting for verification of completion of 5 young
peoples Young Health Champions qualification. When confirmation
has been received, arrangements for doorstep awards will be made.
e)
Duke of Edinburgh participants who completed their Bronze and Silver
Awards have not been able to have a formal ceremony to receive their
awards, but we arranged a doorstep award for them. The young
people who are currently working towards their awards have mostly
finished all sections except the expeditions, which will be conducted
once the lockdown allows. We have a small number of young people
sign up to do the Gold Award.
f)
The Kickstart scheme is now live, and we have 6 placements on offer
at the job centre, with more to follow. There have been some issues
with the set up of the scheme - none of which have been the fault of
RTC/Network Ryde. There are further amendments to how the
scheme can accessed.
g)
The Network Ryde website is now active. Network Ryde policies will
be uploaded to the site once agreed.
h)
A couple of projects are still ongoing.
04/21
DATA REPORTING
The Youth Services Manager circulated her data report prior to the
meeting. There were no questions arising from this report.
05/21
POLICIES
The Youth Services Manager circulated some policies and documents
prior to the meeting for agreement:
a) Anti-bullying Policy
b) COVID-19 Policy
c) Emergency Plan for offsite visits
d) Safeguarding Policy
e) Social Media Policy for Staff
f) Volunteer Commitment Document
g) Volunteer Policy
h) Volunteer Role Description
It was RESOLVED that these documents were approved for circulation,
subject to applicable policies being amended to reflect they are to be read
alongside the relevant Ryde Town Council Policy.
The Youth Services Manager advised that she will add a glossary of
terms to the documents.
It was RESOLVED that these policies will be reviewed in 1 year.
B - 2
06/21
PREMISES
The purchase of St Thomas’s has been completed.
The Youth Services Manager has met with some of the young people at
the new site, and they have put forward some suggestions on how they
envisage the site being used.
The heritage of the site is being looked into, as some aspects may need to
remain, whilst other areas may just need covering to protect it.
An architect is being arranged and it has been requested that the young
people’s views be taken into account.
No timescales have been given for when the renovations are completed.
Some councillors have requested to visit the site. The Youth Services
Manager will arrange suitable times.
The Young Peoples Representatives were thanked for their attendance
and left the meeting at 20:05pm.
07/21
FINANCE
It has been confirmed that Network Ryde will receive a refund for the
Business Rates incurred at 147 High Street due to the pandemic. It was
RESOLVED that this money is to be ringfenced to be carried forward into
the next financial year and to be put towards the refurbishment of St
Thomas’s.
The Youth Services Manager will be putting in a further application for
funding from the Violence Reduction Unit to cover a full year of allotment
sessions, which will include staff costs and specialist sessions for the
young people to learn more skills.
Network Ryde is expected to receive the same budget for the next
financial year.
A decision was made to defer an application to the IWC Short Breaks for
funding until a consultation has been done with young people and the
Short Breaks team on the service they would like us to offer.
08/21
STAFFING
The 12-hour post was recruited and started; however, the role did not
align to their other commitments as well as had hoped and has therefore
submitted his resignation. This post will be postponed until later in the
year.
The Session Lead is currently on maternity leave and is expected to return
in September. A review of her contracted hours has been requested, and
B - 3
the Youth Services Manager will consider this request alongside the
service needs.
09/21
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Claire Steen requested access to the young people for a focus group. The
Youth Services Manager will follow up with this request.
Steve Hull requested a ‘Meet the Management Committee’ section on the
Network Ryde website. This will be considered in June following the
election process.
10/21
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The date for the next meeting is Wednesday 9th June at 7pm, in person
unless restrictions are still imposed, whereby the meeting will therefore be
held online.
B - 4
MINUTES OF THE NETWORK RYDE MANAGEMENT COMITTEE
MEETING HELD ON 9th JUNE 2021 AT 147 HIGH STREET
COMMENCING AT 7PM.
Present:
Richard May, Jo Parkes, Malcolm Ross
In Attendance: Elizabeth Gough (Administrator and notes), Becky Swan
(Youth Services Manager (YSM))
Also Present: Paul Ferguson (Ryde Rotary), Carol Jaye (Ryde Arts)
___________________________________________________________
11/21
WELCOME & APOLOGIES
Claire Steen sent her apologies in advance and requested Sarah Riddick
attend in her place.
12/21
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
No interests were declared.
13/21
ELECTION OF CHAIR
Cllr Richard May nominated Cllr Malcolm Ross to Chair the meeting,
seconded by Cllr Jo Parkes. Unanimous decision by all in attendance.
Cllr Richard May nominated Carol Jaye to Vice Chair the meeting,
seconded by Cllr Malcolm Ross. Unanimous decision by all in attendance.
The meeting continued with Cllr Malcolm Ross as Chair.
14/21
MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING
It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the Network Ryde Steering Group
meeting held on 3 March 2021 be approved as a true and accurate record
of the meeting and signed by the Chair.
15/21
YOUTH WORK MANAGER REPORT
The YSM gave an overview of the manager report that had been
distributed prior to the meeting. The YSM asked that if the new members
of the Committee would like to see additional information within this
report, it can be incorporated into the next meetings report.
B - 5
Network Ryde is adhering to the current guidelines for youth work around
social distancing, which differs slightly to the guidelines used within the
schools.
There are currently around 4 young people who are accessing 1-2-1
support with the Youth Workers.
Susie Sheldon, the Lord Lieutenant formally opened our allotment. We
welcomed 50-60 guests and some of the young people were there to
show them their work and achievements.
The committee wished to express their disappointment that the Police did
not pursue further action on the theft at the allotment, but we have been
extremely grateful for the thoughtful donations from the local community.
Ryde Rotary Club have donated a rotavator to Network Ryde for the
allotment.
The funding from the Violence Reduction Unit finished in March, however
because of our capacity and the work we have so far achieved, Network
Ryde have continued the sessions until the end of the school year,
especially so that they can see the efforts of their hard work come to
fruition, when the crops are ready to harvest. The YSM has put in
another funding bid for additional funding for the coming academic year 8
students.
Network Ryde are currently planning the DofE expeditions; Rookley
Community Centre have offered their land for the overnight camping.
Interest in the DofE Award has increased since the passing of the Duke of
Edinburgh. UKSA have donated some camping equipment, which will
reduce the need for us to borrow from other organisations for the
expeditions.
Kickstart is running well; there are currently 43 placements approved so
far, with further placements going through the DWP for approval. There
are currently 4 active placements with Ryde Town Council and Network
Ryde. The committee wished to congratulate the efforts made by Kaiya,
the Network Ryde Youth Support Worker through the kickstart scheme. In
the short space of time working with Network Ryde, she has settled in
well with the young people, eager to learn new skills and training and is
helping to deliver our Summer of Fun programme. There is a generally
low uptake on the Kickstart Scheme, across all employers and industries.
Network Ryde has done some guerrilla gardening in the square outside
the Co-Op in Ryde.
The Garlands of Light display that was due to take place towards the end
of 2020, had changed to the Spring Windows display. Some feedback
was received from Island Roads regarding the flowers painted on the
pavement outside 147; we need to ensure that the correct permissions
are in place before any further street art is done.
B - 6
We have introduced ‘Voice of the Child’ - Feedback has been received
from young people doing the DofE Award.
Network Ryde is considering its programme offering when restrictions
allow. It may not be the same as pre-Covid.
The first volunteer of Network Ryde is due to start on 23rd June 2021,
working at the allotment. A couple of other volunteers are also in the
process of joining the Network Ryde team.
Ryde Academy have approached Network Ryde, to run an alternative
provision with the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. This will be for 6
year 9 students, working with them once a week for the whole school
year, and support them through the Bronze award. Ryde Academy will
provide a member of staff, and cover the costs of the enrolment, staffing
and any activities involved. Ryde Academy hope that if this provision is
successful, the group will continue to the Silver Award in year 10, whilst
also bringing in another year 9 group to do the Bronze.
A Summer of Play programme is being agreed for the young people to
come and do some fun activities - free of charge to the young people.
Funding has been secured to deliver these sessions.
16/21
DATA REPORTING
The data reports were discussed. Generally, there is a link between the
young people and Ryde, however Network Ryde has just started to see
young people start attending who do not live in nor go to school in Ryde.
17/21
POLICIES
It was RESOLVED that the Safer Recruitment policy be approved and to
go to Full Council for sign off as an RTC adopted policy.
18/21
PREMISES
The YSM updated the new members of the committee with the covenants
surrounding what can and cannot be done within St Thomas’s Church.
Potential architects have visited the church and RTC are reviewing the
submissions.
19/21
FINANCE
The High Sherriff is also a trustee of the Daisy Rich foundation, and they
have funding available that we should be able to apply to, for things such
as the development of St Thomas’s Church.
The Responsible Financial Officer (RFO) is still in the process of setting
up a bank account for Network Ryde which will allow the Network Ryde
team to make purchases themselves, instead of relying on staff reclaiming
expenses and using petty cash.
B - 7
The YSM is hoping to provide a Network Ryde financial statement to the
Management Committee in future meetings, which is reliant on being
provided the necessary information from RTC. This is a work in progress.
There are financial transactions that are not sitting in the correct budget
line or accounted for correctly, which is therefore showing over and under
spends on incorrect items. The YSM will be addressing this with the RFO
and Accounts.
ACTION - Cllr Malcolm Ross to address the bank account and budget
issues with the Clerk.
20/21
STAFFING
The Youth Support Worker, appointed on a kickstart placement, has
become a highly valuable member of the team, and the YSM is looking
into how she can be retained at the end of her placement (October 2021).
The DofE expeditions will be moved and incorporated into the summer
timetable, negating the need for staff to do additional hours on top of their
usual hours to cover the expeditions.
The Session Lead Youth Worker will be returning to work on full time
hours after her maternity leave (increasing from 30 to 37 hours a week).
The Allotments & Facilities Contract Officer for RTC is currently working
as a Youth Support Worker for 5 hours a week, additional to his hours at
RTC.
Another kickstart placement is due to start next week, in an Administration
and Social Media assistant.
21/21
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Cllr Malcolm Ross raised a question on how we incorporate Home
Educated young people into our program. The YSM advised that we
haven’t got many home educated young people coming through the
service at the moment, but they are welcome to attend the current
sessions, and additional sessions can be considered if there is a
requirement for them.
A consultation will be done with the Short Breaks young people to
understand what sessions they would like, before we apply for funding for
those sessions.
Andrew Wheeler from the Violence Reduction Unit is bringing Donna
Jones, the new Police and Crime Commissioner, to the Network Ryde
Allotment for an informal visit, to show the achievements of the young
people and what their funding has been put towards.
Cllr Richard May asked if there is anything that the Councillors can do to
help the service. The YSM requested that the committee members come
and visit the young people in the session.
B - 8
ACTION - The Administrator to arrange DBS checks for the committee
members.
ACTION - Cllr Malcolm Ross to request the Full Council whether they
would like DBS checks.
22/21
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The date for the next meeting is Wednesday 15th September 2021 at 7pm,
in person unless restrictions are still imposed, whereby the meeting will
therefore be held online.
B - 9