For the next two weeks, in flood affected areas ONLY, there will be:
- An allowance for two additional black bags of side waste — this will run over two weeks covering this week (31 October) and next week’s general household waste (black bag/bins) collections.
- Extra food waste will be collected and must be placed out next to food waste caddies.
Household waste and recycling centres:
- While van permits are still required, you do not have to wait for the physical permit to be issued for immediate visits to the household waste and recycling centres (HWRC). Residents should complete the application form, note the reference number and take the number with them to their booked visit.
- You should not attempt to dry out soft furnishings due to contamination from flood water.
- There is now a same day booking facility in place at the HWRCs so if you need to dispose of items quickly as a result of the flooding, you are able to do so — simply visit www.iow.gov.uk, or call (01983 823777) to book your same day trip.
The Met Office has also updated the Yellow Warning of high winds associated with Storm Ciaran – the revised period is now between 9pm on Wednesday, 1 November and midnight on Thursday 2 November.
They say “there will be very strong and potentially damaging winds over this period. Winds are expected to gust 50-60 mph along coasts and may reach 70-80 mph at times along the English Channel. Very large waves could bring additional impacts to coastal areas.” More info on Met Office website